Friday, June 1, 2012

The Great Sippy Cup Debacle of 2012

So at our 12 month well check the other day, the pediatrician advised us to wean from the bottle on to the sippy cup; advising us to put the milk (my milk) into the sippy and see how he does. Eventually he'll get the hang of it.

And I thought, oh, okay, that's cool, and hey, not as many bottles to wash each night! Hurrah!

So I carefully measured out my milk and put it into two sippys with his name on them and sent them along to daycare. At the last minute, I also included two empty bottles just in case it didn't go well because we worked hard to make that milk and I really would prefer that he drinks it.

So I explain this all to his daycare teachers.

Day 1: drank about half of his sippy before his lunch then he started throwing it so they put the rest in a bottle and he drank that down flat. I think they kept his second bottle in the bottle because that was bone dry when it came home too.

Day 1: I'd call it a success

Then comes day 2 and there is a note on his daily sheet that they tried to give him the sippy in the afternoon but the lid wasn't on all the way and yes...horror of horrors...my milk, my lovingly pumped milk...went all over the floor or "everywhere" as they put it.

Enter: omg we cannot have this, we must figure something else out, I must research all sippy cups and spouts and straws and fix ALL THE THINGS :)

So he came home tonight and we tried regular whole milk in a nuby cup .. a) it leaked everywhere b) he drank some and spit it out (and frankly, I would too if I went from drinking breastmilk which tastes like vanilla ice cream, to cow's milk which I've never liked to begin with and tastes bland and gross. Then we tried it in our tommee tippee cup, eh a little better, not so much spillage. But still had the whole drink some and then spit it out.

I guess he's getting used to it.

Then I went all Facebook status update 'halp mommas what do i do!' and 20 comments and a few text messages later...I had a plan.

We're sticking to the bottles for my milk. All the cool kids do it :)

No really, I think that'll work best and we'll continue to practice with the sippy of water and/or whole milk at mealtimes and snack.

It's funny because another one of his pediatrician's told me that he would probably only ever drink milk in a bottle. And maybe she's right. And I'm okay with that.

We're down to 3 nursings / 2 bottles (he nurses in the am first up) so gets a bottle at daycare before lunch and a bottle in the late afternoon that constitutes his 'before dinner' milk. So he won't be on the boob forever. And we're cool with that :)

So I'm thinking we can try a straw cup somewhere in the mix too. He loves them and maybe he'd drink from them better.

Ps have you all tried those sippy cups! man you gotta WORK to get the liquid out. I know, I've tried it. I've also tried his random baby food back in the puree days.

Anywho, on to plan B: bottles back on track! :) sippy in the wings at snack and meals! Bring . It. On! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment