Monday, November 28, 2011

The time I spent $50 on a medicine

That I was scared to use.
You see, I have a serious, severe, maybe over-analyzing fear of a) my milk supply decreasing and/or drying up and b) what I take harming LC.
Valid concerns I think!
So since I was sick over Thanksgiving and finally went to the med center on Friday (really should have gone Tues or Weds), and got a zpack and a nasal spray, and reassurance from the dr that both were safe for the baby and for the milk supply, I took the medicine. I wasn't worried about the antibiotics so much as the nasal spray, which contained an antihistamine, which I've read can possibly maybe maybe not, decrease your milk supply. I read about the antihistamine on Friday night after I took a dose. Then I freaked out...are you surprised. I'm VERY protective of my milk since it is LC's only sustenance at least at this stage of the game.
So I had spent $50 for this nasal spray, and now I'm scared to use it. I talked to the pharmacist who reassured me that since it is a nasal spray and is working stricktly in my nose, there is a very very tiny chance that it would even hit my bloodstream which is where it could cause the decrease in supply. And I talked to the lactation consultants who also said, if you need it, take it, nasal spray is better than oral pills, and an antihistamine isn't as bad as a decongestant, and there are measures to get your supply up if it does dip. All are safe for LC.
So I'm back on it and nervous and wanting to feel 100% better, not there yet though. The lactation consultant said that taking an antihistamine over a long period of time may cause a decrease, but since it's a short amount of time, and I need it to get better then it is okay. Plus, being sick in itself can decrease your supply, but I wouldn't know since the whole time I was sick, I was home and nursing LC exclusively. So this week is the tester, back to pumping 3 times a day at work, nursing and night and in the mornings.
Um is anyone else this neurotic about BFing and supply? I just feel like I've worked so hard and I want to get better but I don't want to jeopardize other things in the process. But from what the pros tell me, all is well. I just need to relax and believe it. ::twiddles thumbs::

No comments:

Post a Comment