Sunday, June 26, 2011

Persistence and Prescriptions

So on Thursday night, after a day of crazy sore boobies, I called the doctor, to be told, yep, they are just sore, take Tylenol. However, I KNEW something was up, so I called my OB's office (spoke to the nurse) on Friday morning, the lactation lady at the hospital, and LC's nurse to dig deeper into this because I KNOW it is not supposed to feel like this - especially considering I was fine a few weeks after the intial soreness wore off.

The lactation lady suggested it may be yeast and LC may not be showing signs or may be and we can't tell yet. But that is usually the culprit if it comes on all of the sudden. And she told me to call my OB to see if they can call in some antifungal medicine for me.

So I did - and the nurse I talked to was awesome - she said 'yep! sounds like yeast'. So after tracking the medicine all day - it was between All Purpose Nipple Cream (which you need a compound pharmacy to fill - one that makes their own stuff), and Diflucan, used to treat yeast infections (and can be filled at a normal pharmacy- so I opted for that one). So we had to wait for the Dr to approve the diflucan since he had orignally prescribed the APNO (and I didin't know where a compound pharmacy was and the nurse said they did the same thing).

Finally, after my calling circles started at 11, we had the rx in hand at 6pm. (folks, that's at least 3 feedings for LC and I in pain).

It was one pill, to take by mouth one time, and supposedly fast acting.

Great. I took it at about 8:30 after I had had some dinner.

Next day - felt a LITTLE better, but by the evening, it all hurt the same again.

Still feeding the babe despite the pain.

Sunday morning: present: have a call into the on-call doctor to see what else I can do.

We've bought compresses to put on them (hot or cold), an abundance of breastpads since we read to switch them frequently since yeast etc breeds on warm moist areas, we've let them air dry between feedings.

We'll get this right, but in the meantime it is very distressing.

I'm glad that I can still feed the babe though! I'm his only source and I can't let him down.

I know we'll get this right - we HAVE to!

No comments:

Post a Comment