Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Motherhood Part II

A napping LC makes for a 2 post day for the Mommy!

After my last post this morning I got some feedback from friends and family.

Thank you all so much!

I'm doing better - was overwhelmed and talked to J - you know, the other half of the equation that made LC :)

We agreed that if something was seriously serious with this nipple soreness, that the doctor would have requested that I come in for an office visit instead of all of this over the phone chatter and prescription calling in and whatnot.

So, toughing it out with Tylenol and the cream an hoping that it gets better. Maybe it is just my body adjusting to feeding a wee baby? Like how pregnancy and labor symptoms can feel different for each person - so can adjusting to breastfeeding.

As far as when to feed LC, I'm going to start a more 'on demand' schedule, not being so stringent with this every 3 hours thing during the day -although won't let him go more than 4 hours without eating during the day since that is what the pediatrician said. And he seems to be gaining weight and eating well, so we'll go with that.

Case and point: he ate at 11 today and was fine for a bit, then got fussy and hour later, and after a diaper change, I tried the swing, reading, and laying him in his pack n' play, and then feeding him and voila, that's what he needed.

As far as the rest of a 'schedule' of naps, playing, etc. I've decided to just read his cues, forget the clock - after all, LC can't tell time and has no concept of a clock to begin with. I'm just thankful that he sleeps when it's nighttime!

So we're playing it by ear, going off of his cues, and so far today, it's been less stressful!

I've pumped once, played with LC a bit, and let him rest since clearly he needed it. He will tell his Mommy what he needs. His Mommy just needs to be more patience and a wee bit less neurotic.

Enjoyment is key, and today, we've got that 100%.

1 comment:

  1. oh good! I am glad that you have decided to go off schedule. I think that you will find it a bit more relaxing and enjoyable. Remember that their little bodies are growing so fast and the bm is processed so quickly that they need to eat very often sometimes.

    In fact, when we were going through a growth spurt last week, he wanted to eat every hour, on the hour for 20-30 min at a time for 4 hours. Whew! I was exhausted, but he slept really well that night (2 four hour stretches!) and I swear he was taller the next day! Anyway, good luck to you and LC - I think you both will be much happier!!!

    ReplyDelete