Sunday, May 29, 2011

Trial Run & Sonic

Our sweet Little Cub gave us a nice trial run to the hospital last night. But, have no fear, we are all okay, and LC is still wiggling away in the womb!

So you know how he likes to do all of his wiggling, on a daily basis, especially kicking out his foot on my right side?

Well yesterday I noticed a significant decrease in his activity levels. Like this kid is either napping a lot or something is wrong.

My motherly instincts kicked in and I was overly aware of movements and/or lack of movements. We went about our day, visiting family and puttering about town until I finally said (well J finally coaxed me since he knew if I called the Dr they'd tell me to do the same thing) 'let's do some kick counts and see what's up, this is very un-LC-like behavior. Especially considering the day before he was in his usual activity patterns jamming his foot out and about on my right side

Call me neurotic, overprotective, what you will, but I know my body, and I know my baby boy, and the whole thing made me nervous.

The dr said 10 movements in a 2 hour period is good. I tracked from 5:00pm-5:42pm after drinking some cold water and sierra mist (sweet drinks are supposed to get'em moving), and counted 10 movements i those 42 minutes, however, they were very SMALL movements, also un-LC-like.

So I called the doctor (fortunately was one that we knew and had seen a few times at the office in fact), and he said that the movements were very good and that he was just running out of room (which I knew, but still, knowing my baby boy, it's uncharacteristic of him), but that I could come in to be monitored for a bit if that would help.

Um, YES! J and I gathered up our bags, packed the trunk and headed in around 7:00 last nite.


We went to OB Triage - after figuring out the parking situation, sheesh, and a very nice nurse - who was so patient and answered my questions and then some, got me hooked up to a contraction monitor and a fetal heart monitor.



And bam, there was LC's lil heartrate just chugaluggin' along. Wavering all over the map, but mainly in the 120s but up to the 160s at some points. Shew!!!!


Notice the 148, yes, that adds up to 13! My boy knows his mother! :)

And the contractions - oh hai, they feel like a blood pressure cuff except around your belly! Nothing was consistent and it didn't hurt really, but was interesting to see that hey, my body is contracting, on its own! Hurrah! I didn't even feel all of them!

Since the doctor was in the OR at the time, they sent in a very nice resident (teaching hospitals are kinda cool, I've decided), who asked me some questions and checked me. I was 2cm and 50% effaced - woohoo! That's a start!

So J and I chilled, LC chilled and started moving a bit more, we watched TBS 'Confessions of a Shopaholic', and then J turned on some baseball while I read my book. The nurse popped in and out, my blood pressure went back to normal - was a little high at first - jitters I guess. And LC passed his wiggle / heartbeat tests with flying colors! And in record time!

I swear this baby amazes me and he's not even in the outside world yet - oh the things that await us! :)

So after being there for a couple of hours, the Dr came in, assured us that the baby is a rockstar, we're not in labor (I didn't think so), and to head on home.

At this point it was about 9:45pm and we were both starving - hadn't really eaten since lunch - so what do you do when you're starving at a late hour - (albiet not making a habit of this) - um, we found a Sonic and got burgers and fries. A jr lil version for me though - heavy meals before bedtime aren't good if you ask me. And then we headed home, watched a little tv and I promptly fell asleep with LC wiggling about in glee.

Today he's back to his feisty self although not kicking his foot out, he's making his presence known nonetheless.

Hopefully he'll come out to say hi soon since today IS his day to shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment