Sunday, February 13, 2011

Musings and philosophies on parenting

So I don't get it - parenting is a philosophy right? Just like how we have a philosophy about how we do our jobs, our morals / ethics in life and in work, composed of how we were raised, combined with our own thoughts and emotions shaped by ourselves, our families, friends, and our environments.
Then why is a parenting philosophy so much harder to be understood just because it is not 'mainstream', just because we don't want to use disposable diapers, and we want to limit our baby's tv intake for the first two years of his life, and we want to breastfeed, and be the best parents we can be, provide the best for our baby, really take the time and make the effort to learn before he is born, and to grow with him once he arrives.
How is a momma-to-be supposed to be confident in her philosophies on parenting in a world where her decisions are not mainstream - not that mainstream is wrong or bad, to each their own, but do you know what I mean?
I know a child is a child, and is not a philosophy, however, just like with my work, there is a philosophy that I have a philosophy that works for me and with my beliefs before entering the field, and has grown and matured the longer I have been in the field.
Confidence is the issue - I find it hard to be confident in decisions that I am making having no earthly idea what to expect of the outcome, because why...I've never done it before.
But going into my field of work, I had never done it before, went to school and got my Master's degree in a field I had never worked in, but I had the underlying passion for. This passion has grown so much and given me so much great reward that I knew was there yet is even greater to experience firsthand now that I am working in the field.
Maybe it's that way with motherhood - I've had the undying and underlying passion to be a mother, and I can say with confidence that we will love this baby with all of our being and all of our heart, and we will do everything in our power to provide a learning and growing environment full of love, and family, and friends for him.
I guess when said like that, the 'parenting philosophy' can be flexible, and like my Gumby figurine, I need to be flexible too.
I just want to be the best mother I can be to our baby and hopefully my decisions no matter how non-mainstream they end up being, will affect him positively and he will grow up to learn love, respect, confidence, and happiness...

No comments:

Post a Comment