When we went to J's Nannie's house on Saturday to pick up the 1975 trade-in carseat, we get it all gathered up, and we sit down to visit for a while. As soon as J sits down on the couch, Nannie pats his knee and says 'You don't know what you're getting yourself into with this cloth diapering!' (hehhehehe)
Then she proceeds to tell us stories about how she cloth diapered J's Dad and brother and sister with the pre-folds and pins and 'rubber pants'. And how she was doing laundry all the time, and how she would hang them to dry outside, but sometimes it'd be so cold that they'd freeze, and then she'd hang them on the furnace to dry.
It was AWESOME!
We explained how diapers have changed - no more pins, but snappis now, and we have a dryer so we can put them in there (as far as prefolds) or hang them outside if it is nice (clothes pin on our drying rack will be nice). And how after prefolds, we will graduate to all in on diapers where you change it just like a disposable, and wash the whole thing when it's dirty :)
(sidenote: I TOTALLY hope this stuff works, I'm nervous, but SO darned excited about it!)I don't want to be all talking it up and then fail :(
As back-up, I read that Huggies makes a 'Pure & natural' / organic cotton disposable diaper that we can use for travel and/or in emergencies and/or if our daycare provider (that's on the list to research now) doesn't go for the cloth. They should compliment our 'natural care' wipes - IF WE NEED IT - BUT I HOPE WE DON'T!!!!

Breathe, I can do this...I can do this...WE can do this :) I've got J, who is 110% in support of the cloth diapering, and family and friends who are too, so that's reassuring :)

Don't listen to the nay-sayers! You CAN do it. It is not the same ball game anymore. Just last night I was talking to my mom (who cloth diapered me) and she said she was excited about seeing all the *new* cloth diapers that I would be using.
ReplyDeleteI think you are being very realistic about the whole cloth diapering thing. Having some disposables on hand for the first few weeks when baby is going 8-12 (or more!) times a day can create a lot of laundry when you can be resting and snuggling your new baby.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can make a plan with your husband for him to do 100% of the laundry for at least the first week of baby's life. That way you can stay off your feet and the cloth diapers will magically appear clean and ready to go. :)
I can't wait to read more - I am loving your blog so far!