Monday, January 31, 2011

The perfect day(cation)

J and I took a daycation today - one of our fave things to do - a little day getaway together - out of town, a nice meal (sometimes two) out, always with dessert, and a fun little adventure :)

Today we headed about an hour and a half south, to another state, to another city, and had an AWESOME BBQ lunch (they have white BBQ sauce - um I am now in LOVE with that stuff), and went to the local art museum (even I enjoyed this! the more I go to these museums, the more I tend to learn and enjoy them - shocker right!), and took a lovely walk around the reservoir that was outside the museum!

We got a bit of a late start but got on the road, ran a few errands and were on our way.

First stop - LUNCH!



This place was PACKED! Yet their staff was super friendly and even more super efficient and we had a seat within 10 minutes of walking in! They are known for their white BBQ sauce and there is a reason why : IT...IS...GOOD!!! Like award winning (trophies lined the entryway) good!

I stuck with my standard chicken dish and a side of potato salad and coleslaw - was all amazing but too much for one gestating Momma to eat in one sitting - what, I have to save room for dessert!

J got a combo plate of pork and turkey and baked beans and potato salad. Mmmm...was delicious! Especially the turkey, very tender!

Then we splurged and got pie for dessert - one slice of lemon for J, one slice of coconut for me (no I couldn't finish it either).

Poor J, always eating my scraps lol :) He doesn't complain one bit though!

We got our picture taken by the hostess next to all the awards - and if you saw me before my meal, I may have been a bit smaller in the belly, with a calmer gestating babe. Afterwards, it was party time and I think it popped out even more



Then we headed about 20 minutes down the road to the local art museum. They had an impressionism exhibit that J had been wanting to see for months - and I'm always up for a museum (wait, did I just say that!? sometimes when food is involved, I can be easily swayed), plus it wasn't like we were attempting to hit up the Metropolitan Museum of Art (which would require full on bribery I'm pretty sure). It was a small, cute museum, with reasonable rooms, interesting art, and provided for TONS of questions from me to J.

Questions like: do you think that an intern has to paint each of these title/artist cards to match the wall color? do they change the wall color everytime a new exhibit comes to town? how come some of the paintings have glass and some do not? do you think that the ones that do have glass are the same glass that my diploma has on it since it is museum glass? and on....and on....as you can imagine :)

Since the weather was so nice (overcast but cool), we went for a nice walk (didn't get to go Saturday morning) around the reservoir outside the museum.


Saw some ducks even! And lots of fish!




And as per our usual - our self portrait documenting the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment