If asked to define happiness could you do it? And if you could, would that definition apply to everyone as a whole, or just to you?
For me, and my definition, I think that it would just apply to me, to us.
When I first started thinking about this I used to think that happiness meant that you had a zest for life and enjoyed everything that you did all the time. And for the most part, I think that holds true, to an extent. I don't think that anyone is going to be 100% happy every minute of everyday, doing mundane tasks like cutting the grass or cleaning the cat litter or trying to make dinner in record time. But in general, I think that it is an overall feeling of satisfaction that you get with your life as a whole.
Am I happy you ask? Yes, I am, VERY much so. But my view of happiness has changed from that constant happy go lucky feeling that I had back when I first got out of college.
Happiness now comes in glimpses throughout the day for me - sometimes lasting all day, sometimes just a few special and precious times a day. But those glimpses are there nonetheless each and every day. And come in the form of waking up and seeing Rocky peering in my face and as soon as he sees my eyes open, letting out a big meow. And Lambert splaying out on his blanket on our bed purring for pets. And the look of appreciation from the people whom I help at work, making their life a little bit easier because of a shortcut I just showed them. And hearing my parents voice on the phone all those miles away. And looking into the eyes of my husband, that I never thought I would find but feel so lucky to have married almost 2 years ago.....(cheesefest I know but that's what it is for me).
For me, while I wish that I could be happy 100% of the time (maybe unhealthy?), but I know that I can't, and that is okay. It's okay to spend part of your Sunday morning clipping coupons, cleaning up from breakfast and finishing 3 loads of laundry, you know why, because the kitchen is cleaned up for the next meal, and everyone has clean clothes for the week, making my glimpses of happiness go up a notch the next morning when I'm picking out my outfit. And that is okay with me :)
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment