Friday, June 11, 2010

Spaghetti Dinner

Ah, a nice evening at home with J -- I'm sitting at the kitchen table catching up on my laptop while J and I lightly converse and he starts making spaghetti sauce, from scratch....calming, relaxing right. It all starts well, the oil lightly sauteing the onions and minced garlic (hand minced mind you)....the tomatoes go in, a handful of roasted peppers, other various accoutrement.  I'm thinking that J is going to cook everything but I am somewhat mistaken -- seconds later,  I'm called in to brown the meat...and prep the water to boil for the noodles....and keep an eye on the stove while the sauce marries up and the water starts to boil...while J preps the rolls in the toaster oven. Bring on chaos. The water starts boiling, the sauce bubbles up, the dishes need to be set out, the drinks need to be served up (flavored water in our house), we're going a million miles at once, crashing into one another in our little galley kitchen...trying not to yell or speak to sharply towards one another while we try to both cook (and me to intermittently clean as I go)...and we made it ..not completely unscathed, but the food is good, and we say our prayer before dinner that we made it.
It was really fun to cook together honestly. It doesn't happen too often, normally we try to rotate who cooks (I stick to breakfast and lunch while J mans the dinners), so as I was scrubbing a pot after dinner I took a breath and thought, 'wow, that was nice....we cooked a meal together...we are lucky that we can do that, that we have the kitchen and the utensils and the skills to do that...and produce a decent product.' It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment