So I've learned in the past couple of weeks that researching something and then actually signing up for it / using it, etc are two VERY different things. I really enjoy researching (as does J), and I feel like I really learn a lot and get a good view of a variety of things (books, gardening, cell phones, computer programs, etc.). BUT, like I was telling my cousin the other night, while I could never be a dentist,, I love helping a dentist find information that they may need to help them in the practice of the profession.
Case and point (there are two of them).
1- Twitter (yeah, I'm writing about it again, what of it): I researched for months about Twitter, reading articles, pros/cons, public vs protected accounts, making lists in your account, etc etc etc. I formed my opinion, and changed it, and formed it again, and am now on there (as you all know), but with a protected account at least for now. Now let me tell you, researching and learning about twitter is all fine and dandy, signing up for it and actually using it -- totally different. Just ask my friend L, who I emailed constantly my first few days online :) Little intricacies needed to be explained to me, like the fact that because my account is protected, I can't participate in #conversations (like when Losing It comes on and Jillian tweets about it and everyone chimes in on a little discussion board) with other people, that other people who don't follow me, won't see when I mention them and won't be able to tweet me back (i.e. @jillianmichaels or @altgedshrugged). And another big thing - and maybe it's because I don't have a large following - which I'm okay with - but I thought Twitter would be like 'fast and furious' - like how my discussion boards were in my online classes in grad school. There are little convos here and there, but it's not like if I am not online for hours that I'll miss a lot - but again I really think this is because I only follow 20 people and not all 20 follow me back, hence not a huge amount of activity :) But it's a learning experience and I'm enjoying figuring things out! Gotta keep my brain movin'!
2- The Smartphone: I know, I'm probably beating a dead horse with this but I've just got to have some closure to this whole issue. As you all know, I also spent months researching the smartphones (in general and then specific models), and it seemed sooo cool, and like something that I'd adapt to and learn from and be moving up in the technological chain by using. However, after 1 week with my LG Ally (after a meltdown the first 2 hours of ownership mind you), I was over it, ready to throw it out the window. I only had about 5 apps that I downloaded so not a lot of things running, however I still had to charge it pretty much every day or day and a half at most. And I had to run this 'task manager' app after I did anything on the phone so that it wouldn't constantly run my 5 apps. And the touch screen was really annoying, and it took about 4 steps to do 1 thing. So smart means it does more, not that it is more efficient in the steps it takes to do the things. I was used to pressing the 1 key and it would call my voicemail, not pressing the phone key, then the dialpad key, then the voicemail button, then waiting for the screen to light up again so I could put in my password. Call me impatient (yeah I know I am), but it was too much. And I learned. And I'm okay with it now. We didn't really lose any money on it since we were able to return everything and get the case refunded and whatnot, and it evened out when we got the EnV3 so all's well that ends well.
And I've lived...and I've learned...and I'm okay with it. And I am thankful for my friends and J, and all of you who keep reading (meanwhile most likely sighing and shaking your heads at me) through all of this :)
Now get out and enjoy the last day of the weekend whydontcha :)
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment