Friday, May 21, 2010

Dentist and Eye Doctor Part I

Wow, whodathunk that the dentist AND eye doctor would get a whole post devoted to them. I sure never did! At any rate, I've been off the past two days since I work this weekend so I've used my time to get to the dentist one day and the eye doctor the next. Exciting I know. I also did things like laundry, cleaned the apartment, exercised and other various small errands - very domesticated I know - I love having a clean house, what can I say - vacuum tracks make my heart sing :)
At any rate, the dentist. Now, I've never had trouble at the dentist before and this guy came recommended from several coworkers. Typically you go in, and you're done in 3- to 45 minutes right? Wrong. I went in at 10:15 to fill out paperwork in preparation for my 10:30 appointment, didn't get called back until 11:09, had a full panoramic x-ray (refused bit x-rays since they were done about 6 months ago and my other dr can send them over), then it started.....the.longest.cleaning.ever....with the chattiest (only partially about my teeth) hygenist.ever. I swear, I learned more about this woman's life in the time it took her to clean my mouth then I know about my own friends who I've known for years. (miss you guys!). She yammers on about her kids and how her daughter was 3 months old when she and her husband got married and how she is 26 and also has a 20 month old son and she loves that when her kids are older, she'll still be young and yada yada yada...you still with me -- anyway, she FINALLY gets done cleaning my teeth - after she recaps my teeth issues (of which by that point I am entirely out of patience), the actual dentist comes in - checks me out and then starts this malarkey talk about jaw surgery to make my bite proper (meanwhile my parents have spent a small fortune on orthodontia when I was in high school) and I told the dude that I was really okay with my bite. He also suggested a night guard (for $100ish) since apparently I grind my teeth. Oh yeah, AND I have 3...yes, 3, cavities which he can apparently fill with a laser - how this works is beyond me, but that will cost around $100 (my mother is probably shaking her head at me telling the cost of things on here -- it's okay mom). So, I've got a call into my cousin who is a dentist in my hometown to talk about the reality of this situation. I know that I want my cavities filled and have the appt for that in a few weeks, but this whole night guard business I'm not so sure about. So then it is finally time to check out - which takes another hundred years because the hygenist attempts to fill out the x-ray request form and does it all wrong. Then they mess up the date for my next appt, and then finally I'm done. Oh but not yet -- after I specifically said 'do not contact me via email' on their little form, what do I get in my email today -- a survey about 'how we did'! WHAT! (oh and I also got a text message on my phone telling me to call to confirm my appointment last week. AND it's not over yet -- today in the mail I get a postcard thanking me for my visit yesterday! These people are nuts! So maybe after these cavities get filled I'll be on the hunt for another dentist. Ugh. Traumatic.
I'll save the eye doctor for another day. Thanks for listening...are you as worn out as I am!?

2 comments:

  1. Ha, sounds very eventful! I was also told I may need a night guard later on since I grind my teeth in my sleep. The hygienist told me I could make my own with a kit I could buy at the store, but since it's a cheapie it may hurt to use it! Well, let me get right on that! I swear, sometimes they are crazy! I hope your eye appt went better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malarkey.
    I hope you completed the survey on "How we Did". Sounds like they are desperately in need of feedback!

    ReplyDelete