Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dentist and Eye Doctor Part II

Here we go -- they eye doctor. (After all this I should be in tip top shape btw!). So my insurance is weird and there is no network so you can basically see whoever you want. Cool right. Okay, so I try the Lenscrafters since I trust them and have been to them before- apparently they don't 'take' my insurance, which in this case, means that I have to file the claim myself, pay up front out of pocket for the exam, and get reimbursed who knows when. So they're out. J mentioned a place near our favorite ice cream store though, so I call them up, they DO take my insurance, so no money out of my pocket (wait for it...), so I make an appointment for the same day.
I go in, fill out my paperwork - then comes the decision, do I want to be examined for contacts or glasses - well, I wear both, but naturally, that is extra. Luckily, only $8.93 cents extra that my insurance doesn't cover so that's not a bad deal (in my opinion). They call me back pretty much on time (I got there a bit early as well and tried on some frames to see what I was working with), the lady does my pre-check up whatever that is where I have to read letters half blind (btw, my left eye...so much worse than my right, it is scary, I had trouble with the largest line of letters). Then I wait in the room (with the door open so anyone walking by sees me sitting there like a dope), for this doctor to come in.
Here's where it gets good -- this dude comes in, stubble on the face (not that cool stubble, but that omg I woke up and am late as heck stubble), his shirt half untucked in the back (and wrinkled -- and it was only 2:30 so midday), and his pants somewhat wrinkled, also smelling like some odd combination of strong coffee and some sort of tobacco product, like radiating from him.
side note: if this were J, I swear he would have gotten up and walked out of the exam room and been like yeah I'm not going through with this
Then he does the thing with 'what is better 1 or 2' and somewhat warp speed - I had to keep telling him to repeat. Keeping in mind that my eyes don't work together so it takes extra time to adjust. He gets that done, then he measures my eyes for my contacts an we're good to go. (Did this story just fall flat on it's butt?)
At any rate, I go out to the little table to talk with the lady about if I want glasses or contacts and what my insurance does or doesn't cover (for those who care, it covers one OR the other, NOT both...naturally). So after going over numbers and me jotting things down on a microscopic post it note (legal paper people, we need to be able to decipher this later) I tell the woman that I'll have to come back with my decision. I go back to the car, mull it over while making my mom's head spin with the details of what costs what (she's an accountant and I'm bad at math and J was busy at work) and came to the conclusion that I'd hold out on the contacts this go round and get new glasses since I wear them more lately. Now I need to get back there with J so that I can have some help selecting - I've never been able to select frames out alone and I've been wearing them since I was 1 1/2 years old. So we'll see what we come up with! Stay tuned!!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you check out 1-800-contacts? I used to order mine through there and they were relatively reasonably priced - most of the time better than the store itself. You could at least get some contacts for those days when you don't want to wear glasses.

    ReplyDelete