Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Insurance

What, two blog posts in a day! Yep, feel the need to get this out there as well and I don't have to be in to work until later so I'm spending my morning cleaning up (emptying dishwasher, make the bed, make breakfast and lunch for J and I, making some phone calls, and last but not least - my fave- tackling Jillian Michaels in her kick butt workout as soon as I finish this post).

At any rate, my point of this post was to discuss the dreaded (or not-so-dreaded) topic of Insurance (health, dental, vision, life, supplemental life, etc.). I am fortunate that my job offers me many different insurances of which I can chose to elect or decline also of which I can put J on or not (since he is working a temp job now, he qualifies for my insurance as his primary).

(Insert pic of our kitchen table full of forms and the calculator and papers lol.)

So after a lovely dinner of steak (marinated by yours truly, cooked by J) and leftover potatoes / carrots / onions from our crock pot feast over the weekend, we sat down to work out the (dreaded, again) insurance. Let me tell you, it is a hard thing to comprehend, especially this supplemental life insurance (great benefit but sad to think about!) so we sat there for a couple of hours mulling and running numbers finally coming to the conclusion that J would elect all of my insurance since he won't be eligible for his own for potentially 4 months (and that's assuming he gets hired full time by his current temp job). Good to have the options open, especially since I found a crack in one of the lenses in his glasses just the other day, so he may need to go sooner rather than later! Now that I have just typed it out, it doesn't seem all that bad, but last night it seemed like a lot of pondering to come to a clear decision. So I'll submit the forms tomorrow since I still need to fill out a couple of them (luckily I have until 2/11). And then that is one more thing checked off of our list of "getting normalized" as J calls it. Which means, getting our lives on a normal track that doesn't involve 4 hour daily commutes, late nights and cranky mornings due to being stressed, overworked and overtraveled (if isn't a real word since blogspot is attempting to correct me w/ the red squiggly line).

So today is a new day, it's my first "late night" at work, which means I work the 11-8 shift instead of 8:30-5:30. We are all scheduled one late night per week which is great for me considering I've been used to 2 and sometimes 3 late nights in any given week at my old job. Plus the atmosphere at my new job is so wonderful that it's not like it is annoying to stay late. It is calm pretty much all the time, I have my projects to work on and people to help, all of which have been pleasant! I felt very accomplished yesterday when I finally finished a project that I had been mulling and trying to work out for a little over a week! It was well received by my co-workers which made me feel that much better! I'm just about done a couple of other projects as well which is a great feeling! I like to keep busy and check things off of my to-do list! If I learned anything throughout this move (and I may have said this before), it's that I do best when I work off of a list (or a list of lists, etc.) and check things off. I also learn best by doing (it is good to be shown how to do things, hence my constant question asking at work), but it doesn't stick for me until I have done it a couple of times, then I feel confident and am good to go.
Ah the learning processes of life right! I think that the thing that I love most about my job is how much I learn every day, I never thought there could be a job where you are constantly learning, regardless of how many degrees you have. I feel very fortunate to be in the position to both help people as well as advance my own knowledge. (my friend C would say 'that's enough sentimental stuff') So I'll close for now! Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment