Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cheese & Fruit

Remember back when LC was eating all the jarred baby food (we always aspired to making our own but yeah, life got in the way, and convenience trumped this battle round lol), he would eat whatever you put in front of him?

Times they are a'changing!

We are incorporating more finger foods lately as well as foods that we eat - cutting up little bits of chicken, potato, mushroom, couscous, fish, from the night before and feeding it to him the next night for his dinner.

I say feeding loosely because I just put a few pieces on his tray and sit back and watch. Sometimes he picks it up and eats it without a problem, sometimes he eats it and then spits it out everywhere, sometimes he eats it, chews it a little, and THEN spits it out everywhere.

He's learning, texture, taste, spices, chewing, swallowing. He has his own little palette, which according to one of our baby books, is FULL of tastebuds, like ALL OVER his mouth (hence him stuffing food in all at once - although I have to admit he has gotten a bit better about that and only puts 1 piece in at a time, but doesn't always finish chewing before stuffing the 2nd piece in. baby steps :)

At any rate, what we've tried this past week has been fail, fail, fail lol! Chicken, fail, salmon, fail, couscous, fail, spinach, fail, mushrooms, fail, potato, fail lol.

The success .... are you ready for it ...

CHEESE!

As in little cubed up cheddar from the block!

Are you surprised!? REMEMBER all the cheese I ate when I was pregnant? And how much I eat now - oh who am I kidding, I've loved cheese all my life and could eat it with every meal and snack of the day - oh wait, maybe I do . shhhhh :)

He loves to pick it up and put it right in his mouth, it's easy to chew, a normal texture, and plain ole YUMMY!

He also enjoys fresh fruit or those fruit cups (in their own juice), mandarin oranges, mango, pineapple, steamed apples, banana.

So for now, his diet consists of my milk (thank goodness for that b/c he gets all his nutrients from that!), cheese, and fresh fruit. He does still eat some jarred baby food if he needs meat/veggies since we're not totally off of them, and buy them on an as-needed basis (instead of in bulk since we know that he could turn on a dime!). And yogurt, he LOVES yogurt - which is cool because all this dairy is a good sign that he'll transition over to whole milk like a champ come the day! No mixing half n' half and yada yada - I hope!

Bring on the CHEESE mamma! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment