We tried a wee bit of squash tonight - pureed Earth's Best / Organic squash. And, well, he took to it like a fish to water - but not too much :)
He knew what to do with the spoon, although J fed him a bit before we let him try it himself.
He opened his mouth - and even tried to help (although it was more like flailing hands and arms trying to wrestle the spoon), but it was helping nontheless :)
And in went the squash, and down the hatch it went, not being spit back out, not too weird of a face, just an 'oh, this is new, oh, this is okay, oh, maybe I like this!'
And I watched, and took pics, and surprisingly was okay with it.
I nursed him like RIGHT before so I knew that he was already full from milk, so that would be a good time to try this out - since we're going on the whole 'complimentary foods, not replacement foods, foods before 1, just for fun' mantra in our house.
Ideally, I'd love to skip the whole pureed food stage and go right for the table food, we just cut up our dinner in baby portions and sit him at his chair, and we sit at ours and we have a family meal - of sorts right :) Maybe we can work up to that.
I read in my Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book that ideally when they are ready for solids, they are ready for them as in can pick them up, put them in their mouths, chew, swallow, and want more. Hence no real need for spoon feeding. But as with all baby and child rearing information, we take it with a grain of salt, go by what we believe, and make adjustments as to what works best for our family.
And tonight, when I was okay with it, and LC was okay with it, we went for it!
And it was okay, and I was proud of him, thinking back to how I freaked out about the first time he had a bottle and how I was scared he'd never want to nurse again, and he proved me wrong.
Because this time, yet again, he nursed, had some squash - maybe a tablespoon over the whole 'meal' between J helping him and him helping himself licking the spoon and whatnot, he nursed again after I changed his diaper a few minutes later.
And he fell into a deep, peaceful sleep during his last nursing before bed, about an hour later.
He still loves his Momma, he still needs his Momma, I have faith that he will take his time with this whole solids thing, and we'll gradually pave our own little path together.
Thank you LC, for being my son, and for being so patient, so kind, so loving, and so you. You are my world, little one.
Momma loves you forever and ever!
Friday, December 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment