Friday, July 22, 2011

There is not a book on that

What I'm in the midst of learning, and what J reminds me of on an almost daily basis, is that there is not a book or website written specifically for LC.

In case you haven't noticed, the thing I've had the most trouble with is the breastfeeding.

Do I wake him to eat, do I feed him every 2 to 3 hours, do I feed him 'on demand', when do I pump, how often do I pump, do I schedule pumpings and feedings, when do I introduce the bottle, how long will it take him to 'accept' the bottle, it breaks my heart that he even has to have a bottle to begin with....and the list goes on...

And all the books, and doctors, and nurses, and lactation cosultants all have a different idea of what is best.

But...these books, these videos, these websites, and the medical people....they don't live with LC and I on a day to day basis...they don't see what we do, how we do it, they don't know that he will have a full belly and then give himself an arm hicky from sucking his own forearm after eating when clearly he has told me he's done eating by ripping himself off the nipple with a sigh of contentment and a dribble of milk running out of his mouth.

So who is writing the book of LC....I am...J is...our family is...those who spend time with him and interact with him, and learn his cues. Nobody knows their baby better than those who are around him.

His mother .. me .. I know him .. in fact I feel like I may know him better than anyone else -- if that sounds bad, I apologize, but I think at least at this point, that it is the truth.

And once I got it through my thick skull that I know him and that I don't have to listen to what all the books etc have to say, I have had some peace. And once I realized that I don't have to interact with him every second that we are both awake, I have been calmer. He is a baby - he will be a baby and do things that babies do - smile, roll over, lift his head, babble, giggle, wiggle, and love his mother no matter what.

So just maybe I'm doing something right because today....today he smiled and giggled up at me as he sat in his chair while I changed the sheets on our bed - who knew that could be so fun and stimulating huh! It sure was the most fun I've ever had changing sheets! :)

That's something to put in the books! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment