Well I thought I had it under control - never 100% pain free, but at least tolerable. Today I don't know what happened, but it's back. And it is really ticking me off.
I am trying to enjoy things but this pain is really a pain in the butt! I know that something isn't right and I will fight until I figure it out.
I know that it is not normal for a breastfeeding mother to feel pain and be uncomfortable just walking around a cold grocery store.
Yep, went into Publix with LC and J the other night and literally had to go wait outside since it was physically painful to be cold in the store! Crazy right!
At any rate, the 1 dose of diflucan and the $63 cream didn't seem to do much - the cream maybe made it slightly better, but not better by any stretch.
So with it coming back today, I called my OB nurse and she suggested contacting the lactation department since the medication wasn't helping.
Called lactation - they think it could still be yeast in which case I'd need a 2 week regime of the medicine. But they are going to see LC and I on Friday to watch him nurse to make sure it isn't a long rooted latching problem.
I really don't think that it is considering I've studied the books and pictures about latching and he seems to fit them to a t.
And the spit up - oh the spit up - not a day goes by that I don't get spit up on by our dear sweet LC. Don't get me wrong it's a-okay, but it concerns me - he is still peeing and pooping up a storm so I know he's getting enough milk, but spitting up 2 to 4 times after a meal - a little concerning.
I've tried burping him all the ways the books say and sometimes it works, but nothing is a guarentee.
Today I called his nurse and told her what was going on and she said to hold him at a 45 degree angle for 45 minutes after each feeding -- okay -- at 2am -- will do -- thx.
Sigh....I try to hold him upright for at least 5 to 10 minutes as it is and then put him up on my shoulder. Sometimes he burps himself, other times he spits up. Poor little dude.
Although he doesn't seem affected by it.
The nurse said if the 45 minutes at a 45 degree angle didn't work that he may need to be seen for GERD. In which case he'd need antibiotics (which luckily I can still nurse him!). So I don't know what we're going to do with that.
Maybe it's all just me being an overprotective, overanalyzing mother. Who knows.
Just trying to do my best....
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good luck - I hope that they figure out what is going on with your bfing... you are right - it should not hurt like that....
ReplyDeletegood for you for being persistent about getting care.
Could it be something you are eating that is making your nipples sore? Or thrush? I've heard some mom's talking about thrush...but I am far from an expert! OK. Wait I read more closely... you are being treated with antibiotics. You probably just need more time on the antibiotic.
ReplyDeleteAs far as being overprotective-I don't think so! Trust your mama instincts! If you think something is not OK with the spitting up: keep at the doctors until they look into it! Be persistent!