The first few days - okay, maybe the first week, I had to try really hard not to agonize over the fact that our sweet baby was growing up so fast - he would change on a daily basis, get a fuller face, be more alert, stay awake for longer stretches between naps and feedings - I was barely able to walk the day after he was born and I looked at J as we slooowly made our way down the hospital hallways, me pulling my i.v. pole along, and said 'he is ALREADY a day old, he's growing up too fast!'. J said, he's not even 24 hours old yet, it's okay, stop worrying about it.
But I couldn't help it, each day after I'd say the same thing - upping the days, and sighing in disbelief that from the minute he was lifted out of my belly (really wild sensation by the way), the clock began on his life with us in the outside world.
J reminded me that 'we didn't have a baby to have a newborn, he has to grow up, it's okay'. Which he is right, but everyone says this newborn stage goes by in the blink of an eye - can someone hand me the toothpicks because I don't want to miss a second!
At any rate, this past week, getting settled in, I stopped worrying about him growing up, knowing that hey, there are some even more awesome things around the bend!
We've settled into our schedule of eating, pooping, reading, sleeping, playing. We've taken loads of pics and videos to remember everything, and our little days go by and we are just all 3 happy as clams.
Sidenote: we may stare at him when he sleeps, and pick him up when he is sleeping just to hold him in our arms and get a closer look at the little miracle that we created. Sappy I know, but so true.
Last night, we went to J's brother's house for our nephew's 2nd birthday party. Just a small gathering of the grandparents, and J's Nannie :) And I watched our little 2 year old nephew, riding around on his new motorized bike, giving high fives, smiling, talking, eating pizza, and cake and ice cream. And I thought, 'wow, our LC will do these things, and it will be amazing to watch him grow and learn', and give high fives, and learn how to go pee pee on the potty. And curl up with his Mommy before bedtime, and run around the house in glee.
So really, it's okay to grow up - life just keeps getting better :)
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment