Well I would have thought that breastfeeding would be harder to get the knack of than cloth diapering, but in my experiences the past two weeks, they have both come head to head.
First, the breastfeeding was easy peasy, in the hospital, at home, some soreness, but I solidered on with my little LC. And he made it easy since he was such a good eater and latcher. So we were good to go there.
Then the next week, we started cloth diapering - you remember my freakouts about how big the prefolds were and how I'd never get the knack of wrangling the diaper, snappie and cover on LC without causing a full on meltdown (on my part and his).
But, we started using flats which work much better for his size, and with my Mom's help and LC's multiple changings daily, I got the knack of it.
And I still do - and I love it.
But, back to the breastfeeding, the soreness was there at the beginning, then went away, then came back -- like yesterday -- and with a vengance! Like it hurts to have anything remotely close to the skin. Granted, everything "looks" normal, however normal that is for a practically month long of breastfeeding by someone who has never done this before in her life. And feels normal - I was freaking out (after consulting my two breastfeeding books - that's what I get for researching) that I may had a yeast infection on them, but talked to the dr who said 'no doesn't sound like that b/c they'd be red and itchy, or the baby would have thrush' neither are the case. He said they just sound sore, and to take tylenol.
I also talked to a lactation consultant at the hospital yesterday who advised washing them and letting them air dry between feedings. And to limit / cut out refined sugar (um, no more ice cream! say what! but I'll do it for my LC). I will limit rather than cut out entirely, which in my mind means, don't go out of my way to eat sweets. Okay, got it! :)
So here we are, day two, hoping that a little Tylenol, tlc, and continued feeding of LC will make them feel better.
Maybe it's hormonal changes too, who knows.
It's tough work but somebody's gotta do it and I'll be darned if I'm giving in and giving LC a bottle of formula, but that's just me - to each their own. I will stand tall (well, 5'2") and proud and keep on truckin'. LC is in it with me, we'll get through :) He is still a stellar eater and latcher and that says a lot! He sticks with his Mommy! :)
Friday, June 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment