Thursday, May 19, 2011

Got False Labor?

We do!

At around 5:00 yesterday I got a random pain on the right underside of my belly. Hurt a bit off and on but there was not any tightness associated with it - hence, nothing to really time like a contraction.

I made it through the last 30 minutes of work, got home, and J immediately asked "what happened!? what's wrong?" -- does my face really give it away that much -- I can be read like a book lol.

I told him and he said to just lie down on the couch for a bit. So I did that. He also suggested calling the doctor on call and he immediately ran to get the 'What To Expect When You're Expecting' book to research this symptom, in addition to booting up the computer to do a Google search.

I wanted to wait to call the doctor because there was really nothing to time.

Keep in mind, we've taken educational classes on this sort of thing and have read up online before as well. However, this one pain in one spot was new to us.

However, not soon after I got home, I started getting menstrual like cramps and some lower back / pelvis pain associated with this pain in one spot deal. Then the tightness started.

This is when (oddly) neither of us freaks out, but grab the iTouch and load up the contraction timer app.

Also, here is where I think "oooh, that's what a contraction is!" when it feels like a balloon blowing up and deflating in your belly. So we sat in our living room watching Iron Chef, and timing the contractions for about 20 minutes. They lasted about a minute, and were about 4 minutes apart.

Then I decided to get up and walk around a bit - J then decided it was time to pack his hospital bag. Not that we were going last night, because the contractions were not getting any more intense, just still...there...but it needed to be done anyway.

Well, once I walked around, they stopped. Still felt some cramping but not that whole ballooning up sensation.

So I called the doctor on call at the hospital and told him what had been going on from about 5pm til 7:30pm. He said it was either really early labor or false labor considering I was 1.5cm dilated and barely effaced (40-50%) and the baby was still high in my pelvis, at my appointment on Tuesday. He said when the contractions get really bad and take my breath away, and bring tears to my eyes, that's more like when you know it's real and should call - um, I hope to call before I get in severe pain - I have images of sitting in the passenger seat while J drives us to the hospital in excruciating pain - I kinda don't want it to get to that point before I can be under medical supervision. But we'll see, LC has a mind of his own and may come fast n' furious like Nascar! :)

So who knows if we'll make it to May 29th or not. It may have been a case of 'just sayin' hi and keeping you on your toes' or 'hey give me 24 to 48 more hours and I'll be allll yours Mommy and Papa!'.

Needless to say, despite my nerves, I'm going in to work today - hope to keep my mind off of things and not be so nervous. We'll see how it goes!

Exciting stuff knowing he just might make his grand entrance soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment