Friday, April 8, 2011

The Birth Plan

So there is some controversy over if you should really have a birth plan or not - or at least that you shouldn't be die hard must stick to the plan about it, if you do chose to type something up. Because, with life, and especially with babies, things do NOT go as planned. Ah, flexibility, what's that again!? Yeah, J and I will have to work on the whole 'chill out, it's okay if we're running behind schedule on a Saturday or Sunday or well any day for that matter'. Yeah that'll happen REAL quick once LC pops out for sure! I'm kinda anxious (shocker!) about how it'll unfold! Time will tell.

At any rate, I have the idea to have a loose birth plan, and type it up and hope that the nurses don't look at me like I have two heads if I hand them a copy. We've discussed it with our OB and she said so long as we're flexible with it, then it's no problem and is a good thing to have, at least to be keeping in mind during the whole labor and delivery process. (which btw, I hear can be rather lengthy and if you know me, you know I'm impatient...hmm let's start packing my bag o' books n' mags n' iTouch n' computer now thanks!) :)

My thoughts on THE birth:

1- I'd like the option of pain medication (epidural, anti-nausea, something to take the edge off if I can't deal with it) - maybe I will be able to, who knows. But options are a good thing to have!

2- I'd like to breastfeed as soon after the delivery as possible (need to dbl check hospital protocol on that)

3- I'd like J to cut the cord (he said he'd go along with it - he BETTER!)lol

4- I'd like to snuggle with my baby ASAP after the medical team has done what they need to do - put my baby boy skin to skin with his Mommy stat please!

5- Safety first, whatever you need to do to get him into this big world the safest, is fine with me - hopefully not a C-section and hopefully not forceps or a vacuum (those two things scare J and I a lot) but like I said, if it's for the best, then I trust the doctors.

6- We'd like for him to be circumcised (this is also a point of contention for some people, but for us, hands down, we want it done)

And really I think that's it - although I'm sure after I hit 'publish' on this post I will think of a million other things. But at least I've got the main points down. And that's all kinda going off of our own philosophy of the birth, not any book research (shocker). Maybe J and I have maternal instinct after all right!? Who knew lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment