Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Today's OB appointment 26w2d

We went in for our 26 week appointment today ::throws confetti in the air:: ! And by we, I mean, all 3 of us, me, LC and J. I'm SO fortunate that J has been able to attend every appointment thus far and plans on attending every on here on out even though it means he has to shift his work time around the rest of the week to make up the time - we make it work even if I have to turn on the lights, throw off the covers and literally push him out of bed lol!

I had my gestational diabetes test this morning, which consists of me drinking 10 ozs of a SUPER sugary drink (think gatorade with 10 extra cups of sugar, condensed) in a 5 minute time span, then getting my blood drawn an hour later (from my hand because my veins are "small and sweet" as the nurse says, then sent to a lab to be tested, where the results will come back the next day (tmw).

The nurse told me that she thought I'd be fine, being already a "little lady" and our OB said that having a low birthweight (me at 1lb 11ozs) had nothing to do with being susceptible to it or not (J had read that 1 other place so we weren't sure on the validity of that).

At any rate, we finally got back with our original OB and she was so so great! She stood next to me and answered all of our questions and then some before even doing the exam! And folks, my heart goes out to this doctor, because she keeps her cool, doesn't act annoyed or anything when we ramble on asking things like shoulder displaysia (or something like that) because we saw it on a tv show lol. She knows her stuff and is so genuine. And she is super reassuring to us which is great. Telling us that we've got it right in our birth plan philosophy and in how we're going through the pregnancy and everything.

Honestly, we feel so lucky!

She said he is growing right on target, and has a strong heartbeat of 152 (as she used the dopplar I had to ask if it was right on his heart or just in the vicinity to pick it up - she said it had to be really close to it to pick it up - hey, that's so cool!) Said that my weight is good too (shew!) and that we're doing everything right :)

Ah reassurance from a medical professional - I love it!

We made all of our appointment from here on out - as in, out to 2 days past my due date! Say what! Yep, we will go every 3 weeks for the next 3 appts, then once a week for 5 weeks (does that add up right? I don't have my sheet of appts in front of me).

And she told us how the delivery would go (assuming things aren't surgical) - they'd put the baby on my chest right away, let his umbilical cord stay connected for 2 minutes, (we had read to keep it on for a bit before clamping/cutting) and then (hopefully J if the situation is right) will cut it :) And hopefully he won't faint lol! (she laughs now)

Told us her schedule to be at the hospital but that anyone in their practice (which is a total of 6 or 8 drs) could deliver so as we all know, it's up to our sweet LC to decide when he will make his appearance - but you know I'm hoping for Sunday night when our dr is on call :)

But it was a great appointment, looking forward to the next and the next as he grows and we continue to prepare - um first up, the nursery and the pediatrician and the daycare - no, the walls aren't caving in, not at our place / in our minds lol. Patience....breathe in, breathe out...

Oh and I got my disability paperwork turned in today so I can check that off the list! Need to talk to my supervisor this week about my plans then that'll be another check off! Gyah I can't believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment