Monday, February 28, 2011

The bottle debate

No, no, I'm not going back on my breastfeeding vow - believe me, we are both 110% devoted to it - I'm attending La Leche League meetings, we're both attending a special breastfeeding class at the hospital and we've added breastfeeding supplies to our registry. However, I will have to go back to work (I worked hard for my master's degree!) at some point between 12 and 16 weeks after LC is born... sigh :( And with that comes pumping and bottle feeding (breastmilk) to LC. So for that we must prepare.

We did some on the fly research while registering at Babies R Us (and talking to our friends from the UK) and found the Tommee Tippee bottles which look really cool and sound good for babies - as good as the millions of bottles out there right lol. Seriously, there is a wall o' bottles n' nipples for as far as the eye can see at Babies R Us.

So we zapped a few starter bottles and a brush and a sterilizer (microwave one - maybe they aren't needed, who knows but we're overprotective so we need piece of mind - our parents would probably throw 'em in the dishwasher or hand wash them and call it a day - lol).

Then I went to the La Leche League meeting the other week and the ladies there were big advocates of the The First Years 'Breastflow' bottle. The two nipple system it uses involves the same mouth/sucking action as it does for breastfeeding - and combines suction and sucking on the nipples the same as a baby would when breastfeeding - so getting the milk out take the same amount of effort as breastfeeding. Well this idea sounded genius to me! The transition sounds seamless even!

So I put a starter kit of 'Breastflow' bottles on our Amazon registry and am now debating if we need to remove the Tommee Tippees and accompanying accessories (sterilizer and bottle holder thing) in favor of all Breastflow stuff. Why can't these things be interchangable dangit!

At any rate, I'm now hardcore Breastflow bottles - booyah! So you may see a shift in the registry when it comes to bottles - yeah, I should get on that huh!

sidenote: I think my belly button just popped out - maybe this is for real or because my belly is full of baby and ice cream tonite!? ;)

1 comment:

  1. I think you should leave both on the registry. Once LC decides which one he prefers, then you can build up your stock. Sounds like you have a plan!

    ReplyDelete