Monday, July 5, 2010

The Grocery Store

Wow, after a great two days, going back to reality (even when it involves a day off from work), can be a real bummer. Back to the laundry, coupon clipping, grocery shopping, and being in my pajamas puttering around the house til at least 1:30. But that's normal right..  Then 4pm hit - and we had to get out of the house after compiling our various lists. So we decided that grocery shopping was the top priority of the afternoon. I don't normally go to the grocery store with J - he is great with clipping the coupons, saving us a bundle, and having his own methodical way of going through the various stores (and I appreciate this more than anything btw). But today I went along since there were a few things that I wanted and needed to be around to help pick out. Plus I had just taken a nap and had a snack, so I felt properly armed to face the masses that are Wal*Mart on a Monday holiday weekend. So off we went...
We had our little/big list and wandered around getting what we needed, stopping off for a long time in several aisles pondering the best value for our needs ( trash bags was a big deal today, as were lunch snacks, and produce...in fact we ended up at the Publix for salad stuff since Wal*Marts didn't look too good). Um..does anyone else stand in the trash bag aisle for a good 5 minutes pondering brands/prices/numbers of bags per case? Okay, just us...um...that's okay ...right....
After 2 hours in the Wal*Mart, we stopped over to the Publix to get some salad fixin's for dinner and for my lunches this week (4 day week woohoo), and then a quick stop to the Kroger for some sodas (diet caffeine free plz). And that put us back home at 7:30pm...um...that's a long time to be at the grocery store...this is why I don't like to go...but I did, and I survived (armed with my trusty sweatshirt by the way)...Oh and I almost forgot, we got deli cheese, I think that's my favorite part of grocery shopping when I go. I swear I could eat my weight in cheese!
And we made a frozen pizza and salad for dinner, got cleaned up and then had some ice cream and watched an episode of 'Property Virgins' and now winding down for bed. So all in all the 3ish hour grocery trip ... not so bad, but is it wrong that I don't want to make a habit of it....
Do you spend a lot of time at the grocery store? Do you shop or does your DH/significant other/roomie do the shopping? How often do you go to the store. And, oh yeah...is this post a waste of your time lol :)

2 comments:

  1. You know, dh and I are right there with you on the trash bag aisle, trying to find the best deal. We take our time, plus, I think it's just that we enjoy each other's company. I do most of our couponing and shopping, but I love to have his help (carrying things, doing quick math, second opinion, etc.) and we have fun shopping together.

    Have you seen http://www.iheartpublix.com ? I use that site a LOT to help me decide when/where to get good deals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! I don't feel so alone :)
    I have not heard of that site, I'll (read: will have DH) have to check it out - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete