Wow, so yesterday totally made up for my day at the mechanic on Friday! We got up early, like 7am, and J went to get his tires rotated (free service, score!) and then he came home and we went to the Farmer's Market! I love the Farmer's Market - all the fresh produce and the people milling about! We stocked up on tomatoes (heirlooms of course, our fave, and J is going to make the big 'mothership' salad tonight), squash (several different kinds), eggplant (Japanese, totally new to us but looks great!) and some 'sourghum' chocolate chip cookies (delish!).
And I must bring special attention to the 'traveling tomato' that we purchased! I saw it sitting on one of the tables and was totally intrigued! The lady told me that it was called a 'traveling tomato' because you could pull off the little segments (each one is roughly the size of a small cherry tomato) and eat them as you 'travel', now I think that is the coolest thing ever! So for a mere 75 cents, we bought this little guy!
Isn't it cuuute! You can just pull off the little segments and eat away :)
Then after the Farmer's Market we stopped home, properly stored our produce and then headed over to J's brother's house for brunch! We had waffles, and bacon and fresh fruit and boy was it yummy! We got to play with our 1 year old nephew S who is adorable! He was laughing and smiling walking and running and playing all over the place! We love getting to spend time with him and seeing how he grows up!
After that we went home and chilled out (read: I took a nap on the couch, my fave thing to do and I totally wish that naps could somehow be worked into the workday lol) and then we went to our favorite used bookstore! We LOVE this bookstore. They have current books (as in I bought a 2010 book there!) at a super discounted rate! And the organization isn't too bad, big wide aisles and tooons of books to choose from. Oh and they have a section totally dedicated to Chick-Lit, so you can imagine where I parked myself (that and the YA section) :)
After that we went to a BBQ restaurant a little bit further down the road from the bookstore. It.was.so.good! We don't go out to dinner too often so it is always a treat when we do! J had found this place previously and we went to it when we were visiting another city a few years back, so come to find out they have one here, well we had to try it! I got my standard pulled chicken, with a side of collard greens (love these things! and creamed spinach (more cream than spinach but still delicious)
And I tried it on multi-grain bread (although the bread was MUCH larger than I had anticipated so I was able to divide the chicken and have a 1/2 sandwich for dinner and save the other half for today (are you surprised lol, you know how I love to re-make / organize my meals when I'm out - weird yes, but whatever, I can usually get at least 2 meals out of one, and sometimes 3) :) I did eat both of my sides though and boy were they good!
J got a pulled pork sandwich on sourdough and mac n' cheese (I tested it, very good) and baked apples (his fave)
Then we drove towards home and stopped by the Borders where I bought another book (but at 33% off thanks to my perfectly timed e-mail coupon). It was the sequel to a book I read a few months ago - that oddly enough I stumbled upon at the used bookstore - however they didn't have the sequel in at this point, and I get anxious (what, like you didn't know that). So for $10 w/ my discount, I'll take it. Plus the author is on Twitter and tweets me so I feel special :) Like we're friends or something :)
Then (I know, it's a lot right, but the fun never ends!) we stopped by our 2nd favorite gelato parlor for some dessert! I had stratchiatelli (tastes kind of like birthday cake) and J had coffee. We are loving this place because they make all of their gelatos in-house and fresh everyday - like for their pineapple gelato, there is a FULL pineapple in it! And for their blueberry gelato, there are tons of fresh blueberries, that the owner picked himself from a local farm! We will go back to our favorite ice cream parlor at some point, but they raised the prices so we're giving that a rest for a bit.
Then we went home, read our books and mags and promptly fell asleep.
So finally after the string of bad days this week, we got a REALLY good one that made up for them! I love it when that happens! :)
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment