Sunday, June 6, 2010

What is 'my bag'?

You know how people say 'oh that's SO my bag' meaning 'I make a great mac n' cheese, or, I am an awesome soccer player'or in J's case what is so NOT his bag, is helping someone carry a couch out two doors into a truck when you sell it before you move...he actually told the guy "sorry man, this isn't my bag".
It got me to wondering, what is MY bag!? What am I really good at - what do people request of me in certain situations? I don't exactly have a signature dish like my Grandma's deviled eggs, or my Mom's artichoke dip, or my Aunt D's cranberry compote (although I can make the compote but that's more her signature). I'm not particularly athletic, like my brother who was a star lacrosse player in high school and college, and is now a star surfer traveling the world. I do enjoy my workout videos and have a slight obsession with Jillian Michaels, but it's not like I have recruiters out for me. So...what do I do well? What do I enjoy? Aside from the typical things like shopping and going to movies and hanging with friends, I guess you could say I enjoy researching. A lot. Like for cell phones, or any other obsession that hits me in the face on a random day. I enjoy blogging. A lot. This blog has not only been a way for me to connect my friends and family to our life but for me to find my own voice and to exercise that writing muscle that I used to love to do so much when I was younger. I used to write poems and they'd get published in the newspaper, and I used to write articles that would get published in national magazines. So maybe writing/blogging IS my bag!? For now I'm going to say yes, it certainly is. And I'm proud of it. I'm proud that I have a little space in the Interwebs that I can call my own. My own niche where I may only have 3 loyal readers, but am I really looking to have an entourage of readers peeking into my life? Not really, would it be cool to get more comments and to connect with more bloggers - sure - there are SO many out there and SO many whom I really admire! Maybe one day - but for now I'll settle for my little piece of the web where I can share to my most loyal readers, what's going on in my little corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment