So we have an oven that is at least 22 years old - Hotpoint anyone? There is no window so you have to open it to look in - on and there is no light in there either, so not only do you have to open the door to look in - a lot of times you have to pull the rack out to see how the food looks.

Oh, and the rack is specially latched in the back so it takes some maneuvering to get it to even come out to move - should you need to do so before cooking a particular dish.

At any rate, last night was my night (one of very few considering J always gets home before me and fortunately cooks up delicious meals despite our oven setback) to cook since I was off from work yesterday. J got a lovely portabella mushroom marinated pork tenderloin specifically for dinner that I was going to cook. I followed all of the instructions, foiling the jelly roll pan, spraying it with Pam and letting it sit out a little bit while the oven heated up.
Now comes the "hard" part - the instructions indicate to preheat the oven to 375 and cook for 20 minutes per pound. This tenderloin was 1 lb 18 ounces. In our 'ovenspeak' that means 325 to 350 degrees for about 20 minutes - in reality it meant 350 for 30 minutes - at least to reach the achieved 160 degree fully cooked temperature. So after taking it out after 20 minutes, and watching the meat thermometer (best invention ever) crawl up to 140ish, I put it back in for another 10 minutes and voila! It was done! Oh my goodness! Success!


Oh yes, and don't forget - Lambert never misses a meal, although he didn't realize that this was not for him lol.

Don't get me wrong - I love our apartment despite the crazy oven, just gives it a bit more character and makes it a bit more challenging for my budding chef/hubby :)
I won't go into my brownie fiasco from Monday night - however I will mention that despite the fact that they are 'doughier'? than normal brownies, J and I are still enjoying them - is that so wrong!?

No comments:
Post a Comment