Sunday, August 12, 2012

The quiet of the morning

This weekend has been full of lazy mornings, our little family sleeping in til 7:30, 8:00 and sometimes 8:30! Practicing walking with and without shoes.
Sipping coffee on the couch while reading a magazine.
Watching the last few events in the Olympics while our baby snoozes in the next room in the evening.
Car rides to Target, the ice cream shoppe, and a local mexican restaurant
And
No nursing
We were down to 1 nursing a day and I had been following LC's lead - and by following his lead being that he cannot talk, means, body language. He typically wakes up, stands up, and I pick him up (or his Daddy picks him up and I come in a few minutes later when he holds out his arms to me, I scoop him up, and he points to the glider. I sit him on my lap, and he fusses for the milk because I just can't get it to his mouth fast enough.
But yesterday morning
I picked him and he did not point to his glider, in fact, he pointed to the door, and out we walked, and into the living room, where I sat on the floor with him and we played with blocks and his school bus and his books. Where he happily crawled up into my lap and waited while I read his book to him and played with the ball and the blocks. Where he didn't make any motion that he wanted to nurse.
Was I okay with it.
Well - it is bittersweet.
On one hand it feels like 14 months, 1 week and 4 days went by in the blink of an eye (dont they all say that about childhood), and on the other hand, at 6 weeks in, if you had asked me how long I thought I'd go, I don't know if I would have made it to the next week - but fortunately - and thankfully to my husband and my family for being so supportive on this journey.
And boy was it a journey.
From not being able to nurse after his birth at 10:49pm until 2pm the next day, to soreness, to engorgement, to pumping 3 times a day, to mastitis, to weaning, to nothing. Boy has it been a journey.
And an awesome one at that.
I couldn't have wished for anything better. We were on the same page the WHOLE way through.
Even down to this last nursing - which of course you don't know it'll be your last nursing until you look back and say - oh okay, Friday August 10 was it. And I didn't even know it :)
He gets me. It's almost as if he knew I was going on a trip with my Mom next weekend and was torn between bringing my hand pump and having J give him bottles (which we've been off of for months) of my frozen milk in the morning.
He said 'It's okay Momma, I'll make the decision for you'. And that he did.
My little man. Growing, walking, exploring, and teaching his Momma.
How can a little human being so small be so amazing. I will never understand, yet I will always be beyond grateful for the gift of my sweet baby LC. J and I both are.

No comments:

Post a Comment