Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The time we ate LC's baby food

What, you don't eat your baby's food too? I mean you've gotta test it! Check to see if it's too tart, too chunky, just plain gross (because, let's be honest, sometimes "meat and vegetable medley' smells more like cat food than baby food). And they are all SO bland! Well aside from the fruit dishes, which are deliciously sweet - no wonder LC loves every and all fruit - and that includes fruit in the raw, like bananas and kiwi - and I'm sure he'd like apples too if I somehow made them soft (not applesauce), because I made matchsticks the other day and he almost gagged - he has no filter - just starts jamming stuff in his mouth and forgets to chew and realizes it too late so it either falls out of his mouth, he manages to gag it down (as is the case with banana and cheese), or he full out barfs - like that time we gave him a tortilla chip because he was giving us dagger eyes as I finished feeding him his baby food and he watched us devour chips and salsa. For the record though, the chip was soft in his mouth, he just has trouble with the gag reflex for now.

At any rate, we HAD to taste the peach apricot museli we got him because, he didn't seem to care for it. Well, 1. it was a big heartier (chunkier) than his normal meals, and 2) it was TART! like squeeze your eyes shut and tears come out tart. I know, I tried it. J finished the jar :)

Last nite we decided he should get his first real taste of BBQ - a moment J had been waiting for since September 14, 2010 the day we found out we were pregnant with LC to be exact :)

We gave him a little piece of pulled pork that he managed to slowly chew and swallow, then we gave him a little finger lick of bbq sauce, he had a weird reaction, squinted his eyes, but got it down. Of course we were excited and I scream out "give him more! let's see what he does!' ... and we did ... just a little finger more .. AND HE CRIED! Full on big frown, tiny tears, crying! I tried it, and I think it was a bit too spicy for him - oooh, maybe that's why they make the baby food so bland. hm! :) But he tried it, and he was a trooper. Maybe we'll wait a bit but work up to some more spices as we advance his little diet into more finger foods and less purees! One day at a time!

We got some fruit cups (in their own juice) to start trying at daycare next week when he moves up to the big boy room! And some little yogurt melts that he can pick up and eat himself (more for a snack), which he tried this morning and did great with!

Oh and the sippy cup, you know the one I NEVER thought he's master. Well folks...he's on his way! We practiced with it on Sunday and he just about has the hang of it - I just need to remind him that he needs to tilt it back to get the water out - but the whole suck on the spout thing, he gets it!

Sidenote: he also gets a kick out of it when I squirt water from my bottle into his mouth- he actually leans over and opens his mouth and waits for the water to get shot in lol! Cracks me up! :) Then he swallows and does it again!

Oh my sweet baby boy! What is the mamma gonna do with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment