Monday, June 6, 2011

The Birth Story - Part IV

All sorts of medical staff flooded the room, anasthesia got me numbed up a bit more (and gave me anti-nausea medicine - I wasn't nauseaous but I guess getting higher doses of epidural for the surgery may have resulted in that, who knows), at any rate, no barfing on my part, thank goodness!

I remember a nurse coming in to talk to Jerry telling him that we had a 'very worried family out there' & asked if we wanted her to talk to them. J said yes, and she went out and told them what we going on.

They got me set up for transport, gave J his scrubs and said they'd be back in a minute after they got me prepped and draped.

I remember them rolling me down the hallway to the OR (I was feeling rather sleepy), and seeing my parents waving to me as we rolled by. Tears in my eyes out of fear for our dear sweet baby, and a big surgery that I knew was coming.

Not in the birth plan, but at that point, I didn't care, I knew that we had to get him out and get him out fast!

Once we got into the OR they moved me from the bed to the table and our awesome anethesialogist got me even more numb since my left side still had feeling. I was SO nervous they would start and I'd be able to feel it and they'd have to knock me totally out.

But fortunately, our little warrior LC, held steady at a great heartrate and that allowed us all enough time to get fully numbed up before going in.

Once I was set, J came in (and he says "my seat was barely warm before he was out!"). And I heard "incision", and I swear, not more than 60 seconds later, I heard "baby's out....placenta's out"....like within the same minute!!! Never have I ever heard of something going so fast - thank goodness for skilled doctors and technology! wow.

The anethesialolist peeked over the drape and said 'your baby's being born'.

And then we heard it .... our sweet baby's first cry!

J and I both cried.

It was music to our ears! I couldn't believe he was out! I even felt them lift him out of me - so surreal!

Then the anethesialogist told J to go ahead on over to see him, and take as many pics as he wanted. J was like 'oh, okay, I can go over now...AND take pics!" lol.

So he went over (and maybe saw my guts briefly when he turned his head - bless the man because eww, I so would not have wanted to see that!). But by that point, he had really seen it all so what's a little guts right :)

He took TONS of pics and came back to me and showed me all of them. I think I probably cried again at the sheer joy of it all that WOW, he is REALLY here! Finally!

And then...J came over with our dear sweet baby! And I just kept saying "oh my gosh...oh my gosh!", I really couldn't believe that this little being was here, he was ours, and he was just...there...waiting to be loved from the outside, a clean slate, a sweet sweet strong baby boy! Such a strong boy! I have never been prouder!

After that I headed to recovery - shaking like a leaf in a wind storm due to the medicines, they said they could give me something to stop the shaking but i declined it - that'd enough medicine for me thanks :)

A while later they brought LC in to see me and I got to kiss his sweet face yet again and hold him - and he even started rooting around for food! I couldn't feed him just yet though. They gave him an IV in the nursery for hydration and no bottles at our request.

First night spent recovering for the both of us. And then, we were off n' running getting our bond on :)

1 comment: