So we're having a boy * blows noisemakers and throws confetti in the air* ! Needless to say, we are both over the moon excited! And he is looking healthy as can be - measuring in the 97th percentile which is fabulous and growing like a weed and wiggling around showing off, being our little acrobat (he went from head down, to breech in the span of our ultrasound yesterday! Impatient like his Momma ;)
As I was getting ready this morning I had this realization that zomg, I don't know nothin' about raisin' no boy (get the Gone with the Wind quasi-reference- I"m sure I"ll say the actual reference about birthin' babies soon enough lol). So I call J in a panic at work this morning telling him as such, and you know what he says (bless this man): it's no different than raising a girl - we raise him to be kind, respectful, loving, all of the qualities we see in ourselves and our friends and family. We are raising another human being, and one that will come out loving us from the get go (bonus!)! And one who we tear up just thinking about finally seeing his sweet sweet face on his big birthday!
And then I thought, okay, he's right, and plus, we have tons of support, friends and family who have raised boys (and more than one at that!) to help me mine through this field :) And J of course, who will take the reigns and teach him things like how to pee standing up, and how to throw a baseball, and how to be a gentleman (I will do those things too but you know). And he has grandparents and uncles who will teach him how to surf, and how to drive his parents crazy, and ask too questions (I may have met my match for questions when we meet our son lol) and eat too much junk food, and dress him in stellar wetsuits and tye-dye tank tops.
This baby boy will be SO SO loved that I'm sure he will pardon his lil ole Momma for not knowing EVERYTHING in the "book" of 'how to raise a boy'.
I will love him, and nurture him and really, that's what raising a baby is about, regardless of a boy or a girl. We will do this together, me and Little Cub.
ps - I may have teared up as I wrote this post but hey, I'm hormonal, it's excusable ;)
aps - I will also be looking for some books about raising boys, just to prepare myself, oh, and investing in those 'peepee-teepees' to maybe avoid getting peed on but that is kind of inevitable ha! Bring on the spray my man!
Friday, January 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

YEAH! Boys in the house!
ReplyDeleteAnd don't worry - I have 2 little brothers, and 4 boy cousins (all younger) - boys are awesome! And I would not worry about the teepee thing - he is going to get you no matter what! Congrats!!